trying again

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Many many many years ago, a friend taught me to knit. She actually cast on for me, so I didn't learn that part, but I did learn how to knit and purl. And I knitted and purled off and on (mostly off) for years. Probably 5 or 6 years. On one scarf. Until another friend said "will you please give me your scarf so I can finish it for you and you can wear it?" So I did. You can totally tell which 2/3 of the scarf I knit, and which 1/3 of the scarf my friend knit. Lumps galore on my side.

I don't really know why, but recently I decided I wanted to learn to crochet. I mentioned this to my friend at my local quilt shop, who happens to be right next door to my local yarn shop. Long story short, I was convinced to give knitting another go before learning crochet.

So, my new friend at the yarn shop actually taught me how to cast on for myself, then walked me through the steps to creating a dishcloth, knitted on the diagonal, so I learned increases & decreases at the same time. My first attempt looked like a holey lumpy kite. Not even close to being the square it was meant to be. It's not a weird camera angle…it really looks like that!



But I felt like, towards the end, I was actually getting the hang of things. So I tried again. Don't mind my tails. I still need to weave those in. Or something.



And I think I've improved about 3000%. Although I have a long ways to go towards reaching knitting consistency! I think I'll make another dishcloth or two to keep practicing before I attempt something to wear or give as a gift.

3 comments:

chel said...

this is excellent!! yay! remarkable improvement!

Mom McGinn said...

You did a great job on the knitting. I usually end up taking years to finish stuff like that too. I really prefer crocheting.

becky said...

Better than I can do! Though hubby can knit, one of his many talents :0)